The UF College of Medicine R01 Boot Camp is a comprehensive and mentorship-focused program designed to help COM faculty members receive their first R01 grants from the National Institutes of Health (NIH). This application is for MENTEE applicants for the 2023-24 cohort.
- be faculty members with primary appointments in the University of Florida College of Medicine;
- satisfy ONE of the following conditions:
- have not been a PI on an R01 or equivalent grant,
- have not been a PI on an MPI R01 or equivalent grant,
- be working on an R01 or equivalent renewal, OR
- be working on an R01 or equivalent resubmission
- be ready to submit an R01 grant proposal to the NIH at the completion of the 2023-24 R01 Boot Camp Program (in June 2024).
- have been a PI on an R01 or equivalent grant IF they intend to submit an MPI R01 grant proposal
- reapply if they were a mentee in the 2022-3 R01 Boot Camp Cohort and satisfy all other criteria.
Applications will be reviewed by a group of senior faculty and program leadership members to determine readiness to prepare an R01 grant.
Applicants selected into the program as mentees will be asked to sign MOUs that outline responsibilities and expectations, which will then be sent to Chairs/Division Heads for final approval into the program.
Applicants with a primary appointment in the College of Medicine may participate at no cost. If an R01-equivalent grant proposal is not submitted to the NIH at the conclusion of the 2023-24 Boot Camp Program, the mentee’s Chair/Division Head will be asked to reimburse the program a portion of costs ($3500).
For consideration to be a MENTEE, please submit online ONLY these items by Friday, June 30, 2023 AT 5:00 PM following the instructions listed below.
- Email address
- Cover Letter with contact information
- Names and emails of other investigators if submitting an MPI proposal
- Specific Aims (1 page)
- Supplementary Research Description (1-2 pages) – Include brief description of study design, existing preliminary data, and collaborators (if known)
- Biosketch (NIH format, 5 pages)
- Letter of Support from Department Chair or Division Head which should: 1) indicate support for the mentee’s participation in the R01 Boot Camp Program; 2) confirm protected time for program participation and proposal development; and 3) acknowledge financial requirements ($3500 reimbursement to the R01 Boot Camp Program if the mentee does not submit an R01- equivalent grant to the NIH at the program’s conclusion.)
- Name of and email for one potential UF faculty members who could serve as your Internal Subject Matter Experts The Office of Research Affairs will work with accepted mentees and their coaches to sign Memoranda of Understanding with ISMEs shortly after mentees are selected. Please note that your ISME cannot be a co-investigator or consultant on your proposal.
Use the application link below to apply. You will receive a confirmation email once your application has been received.
Please note that the 2023-24 cohort of the R01 Boot Camp Program is a 9-month program that will begin in September 2023 and conclude in June 2024. Applicants must be available for the following required program events:
- Early September 2023, evening– Opening Ceremony
- October 17-18 2023– All-day and half-day Grant Writing Workshop
- November 2022– Workshop TBD
- March 2023– Workshop TBD
- Early May 2023– Mock Review and Closing Ceremony
- Monthly work group meetings with Coaches and Internal Subject Matter Experts, Chalk Talks, and frequent meetings throughout program