The University of Florida College of Medicine Office of Research Affairs, in partnership with the University of Florida Intelligent Critical Care Center (IC3), is pleased to announce an inaugural funding opportunity for novel, collaborative, and experiential multidisciplinary medical artificial intelligence (AI) research. The AI2Heal Datathon will connect leading AI researchers with clinical and basic researchers to propose new ideas for harnessing AI tools to improve human health.
In the first annual AI2Heal Datathon, clinical and basic science investigative teams will work with leading AI researchers to develop accelerated medical AI applications using real-world datasets. Datasets will be provided to the teams based on their research needs. The Datathon is an interactive catalyst grant award program designed to provide mentorship, support, and resources to generate preliminary data that will support extramural medical AI grant proposals.
Summary of Datathon Program
- Faculty-led applications will be assigned to one of the four Datathon teams.
- Teams will develop their research ideas into a proposal with supporting preliminary data obtained during the three-month Datathon project development period.
- AI Faculty Team Leaders will be co-PIs on their team’s proposal and provide direction and mentorship to their team.
- Teams will be provided with space, technical support, and stipends to support work time.
- Assistance with IRB needs and recruitment of AI/ML analysts to help with project development and completion will be provided by the IC3 center.
- A final written pilot funding proposal will be submitted by each team on December 16, 2022.
- Proposals will be presented and judged during an In-Person Competition held January 12-14, 2023.
- Selected teams will receive a $10,000 catalyst award.
- Letter of Intent Application: September 9, 2022 by 5:00 pm
- Notice of Acceptance into the program: September 16, 2022
- The Datathon Project development period: September 16, 2022-December 16, 2022.
- In-person Competition Event: January 12-14, 2023
Four Datathon Teams:
- Clinical Text Team
- Electronic Health Records (EHR) Team
- Medical Imaging Team
- Multi-Omics Teams