The College of Medicine’s Office of Research will be hosting a 2-day training through the Alan Alda Center for Communicating Science on June 8th and 9th from 8AM-5PM, here in Gainesville! The Alda Center’s Signature Science Communication program helps scientists and researchers use and adapt new communication skills to a wide variety of situations.
The Alda Science Communication Experience program immerses scientists in the Alda Method and empowers them to use and adapt new communication skills to a wide variety of situations. This program is the most comprehensive Alda Center science communication program. Over two consecutive days, researchers will learn and experiment with effective communication strategies and skills. On the first day, participants will practice paying close attention to verbal and non-verbal communication, setting real and achievable communication goals, and crafting a brief talk for a large audience. On the second day, they will learn to engage in difficult conversations successfully, and practice using narrative techniques to share their work and its significance.
To be eligible, you must be one of the following: College of Medicine advanced PhD students, post-docs and/or early stage investigators.
By the end of the program, participants will be able to:
• Employ strategies that make messages and information memorable
• Shift their focus to others; learn to adapt messages to aid another’s understanding
• Prioritize clarity by minimizing jargon and using evocative language and analogies
• Apply a strategic communication tool to consider audience, context, challenges, and communication goals
• Develop, practice, and, with constructive peer feedback, refine a short talk
• Identify and practice deploying strategies useful for difficult conversations
• Learn to harness the power of narrative to discuss complex science and research
2023 Registration has reached capacity. If you are interested in attending and would like to join the waiting list, please reach out to Katie Blackburn (firstname.lastname@example.org).